2022/03/17

[Trans] MAQUIA 2022.02 - Kame Camera 10th Anniversary Special

What has he seen and what has he thought all this time?
Kamenashi Kazuya 2535
 
 
"I love but I hate cameras." - With those words started the series Kame Camera, the place where Kamenashi Kazuya opens his heart since the 2011 February's issue of MAQUIA was released.
"I still feel the same at the present (laughs). As an enterntainer, there's a part of me that doesn't like cameras, because cameras are something that "cut" things, they can be interesting and scary at the same time.
They can preserve the best pictures of my face or heart and cut the bad things. But after cutting it, you can't say both are the truth, can you? But I think this series has preserved the true self that I was at the moment we did each issue. Since I'm always living "only the present", I barely look back at my past, and I don't have much time to face myself... But since I had this series, I've digged into my heart and I've realized many things about me."
It's been more than 10 years since this series started. The 25-years-old boy he was is now a 35-years-old grown-up man.
"I want to live as a 35-years-old grown-up man and I want to reach a new world." He has said things like that many times in the past in this series, but... What does his heart reflect after reaching where he is now?


VOL. 126 These 10 years and what's to come

 
I don't care how people see me. I've come to think like that thanks to facing my heart on this series.
 
 
   We went to have this interview and photoshoot when he was busy in the middle of the filming of his new drama.  "I play the role of a "runaway" and I feel like I've been living inside a hole (laugh)," he said gentlely as the wind blowed.
   "What a nice weather. The big clouds are beautiful and so is the blue sky..."
   We have always had a clear sky like today's when having a photo shoot with this guy who brings the good weather. It was the same the day we had the photo shoot for Yume yori, Kame.'s cover. But even if the sky today is as clear as that day, the color of the sky and the shape of the clouds are different. The blue sky of that day that had not even one cloud and today's are different. Because the delicate and complex shadows of the clouds over the blue sky seem to reflect his present self as an adult today.
"Up until now "35 years old" was a guidepost for me. Until I turned 35 years old, I wanted to be achieving something and aiming to reach high or a new world. But now it's different. It's like I've postponed that goal. It's been 2 years since this extrange situation with the coronavirus started. I think everybody have changed their way of thinking and what they had planned for their lives. But over the past 2 years, it hasn't change the fact that I want to accomplish everyday, even if I do it while facing lots of things... On the other hand, in relation to the new things I wanted to do, a part of me put them "on standby". Times and society are changing and having myself taking new challenges, on a certain way, might be easier. But I thought I wanted to calmy wait for the perfect moment with no rush. Being it about KAT-TUN or about all the regular works I have. And actually instead of trying new things, I want to cherish more what I have now and the place I'm at now. That's what I currently think."  
   He is very determined on his thoughts.
"Not only for myself; I want to live for someone else's sake. But I want to carry out my own life."
   He's always been saying that.
"I still think like that. What I cherish deeper inside me hasn't changed almost a bit. But when the right moment comes, I want to be flexible and be ready to change my way of life. After all, everybody goes through a turning point in their lives."

10 years ago, a turning point happened and I naturally changed.

   This series started around 10 years ago, during a turning point. A few years after the incredible debut of KAT-TUN, he was at a complete loss. During that time, one member left the group. While wondering if it had been his fault, he had a new encounter. In the srping of 2010 Going! Sports&News started and in the fall of that same year, this series also started. The next year, his radio program, Kamenashi Kazuya no HANG OUT and many other regular jobs he still does started too.
"The places to show the person called Kamenashi and the real Kamenashi increased. I was simply happy, but I was also a bit worried. Especially, regarding my job as a sports caster; I felt that the image of Kamenashi I had been creating until that moment was completely different so I didn't know what the right way to behave was. For example: when I was interviewing a baseball player; because my natural self respected them a lot. But since Kamenashi the idol was trying to look cool, it would make more sense for him to speak to the players in a more casual way. I was really confused at first not knowing how should I behave and I even appeared on the show having highlights on my hair to keep some kind of balance with my idol persona (laugh). But after gaining experience doing actual interviews, it became obvious that I had to behave naturally as my real self. And it's been the same with this series; since the beginning I've been talking 120% honestly and I even have always checked the final text before it gets published. I wondered how the people reading it would feel and I felt uneasy at first. But I've got a really good feedback and this series has been being loved for a long time. Here remains a me and the true thoughts that I usually don't show anywhere else."

Kamenashi-kun, the idol, is still inside my heart, but...

   The act of looking at himself through work brought about a synergistic effect on him as an actor.
"Something to be grateful for is to have been able to get main roles as an actor 10 years ago as well as nowadays. Until my mid-20s, what people wanted the most was Kamenashi, the idol. But I started to wish more and more to destroy that me and to try new and different roles. Like wanting to do many different movies and even playing supporting roles. That dream started to come true and I could take part as an actor in splendid movies like Ore Ore, Vancouver no Asahi and Utsukushii Hoshi... My idol self started to disappear naturally. Inside of me there was a part that was "I'M KAMENASHI", the idol, Kamenashi-kun, but now I'm only like that in concerts or when I'm singing (laughs).  When I get a movie or drama job, the real me completely disappear. That way I can give my all and I can stop caring about what others think about me. And I think that's possible because I found many good jobs as an actor. On the other hand, I think it was because I could face my true self through this serialization and through my solo jobs that I learned how to stop caring. I've just realized this while talking, but actually, wasn't this a huge change I went through?"

Something about KAT-TUN I think it's possible only now because it's the right moment.

   So how has the change he went through as a person influenced the Kamenashi in KAT-TUN?
"In these 10 years, a lot of things happened to the group and every time, I've faced a lot of hardships and I've felt a lot of things. But after all, my love for the group hasn't changed at all. But if I have to say something that has changed is that now I can't envision the future of the group. But I'm not saying it in a pessimistic way. Because we have gone through many changes since we debuted. Because the dream we had of "Let's reach our 20th anniversary the 6 of us together!" soon faded. The things I envisioned came to nothing again and again so I've reached a point where I just think it's okay to not envision anything. Since we don't expect anything, we can give our all and be excited wondering what new thing we'll be able to see in the future. In 2021 we celebrated our 15th anniversary and I had the opportunity to talk with Nakamaru and Ueda more than usual. When we were younger, our feelings and enthusiasm weren't on sync, but with time, they aligned. And I think that happened because we walked these 15 years together."
 

The other day, when I experienced a big loss, I realized this once again. We won't meet again, but she will always be in my memories.
 

   He, who overcame many complex difficulties repeatedly, year after year, resisted and became stronger.
"I wonder. I've been told there's no one else who has gone through many things as me, but I think those experiences made the me who I am today. Since not every day were days with a blue sky, I was able to see other sceneries. After that, I think becoming stronger was thanks to meeting and saying goodbye to many different people. In the past 10 years I've met and said goodbye to many people not only in work, but also in my daily life. Actually, this will be the first time I say it, but the other day, our family dog, Ran, passed away. It was the first dog the Kamenashi family kept and she was deeply important to us. She was very old and was very weak so I was already prepared, but it still was very painful. I rushed home after work and just as if she was waiting for me, it wasn't until I hold her on my chest that she closed her eyes. But what I thought after the 49 days of mourning, was that even though I couldn't meet Ran anymore, she wasn't gone. Because she is here (chest). To me, we haven't parted. And it's not only Ran. It's the same with the ex-members and my ex-lovers; they are just living somewhere else now. We may not see each other never again and even if we meet, we may not talk (laughs). Even though, it's not like the days I spent with those people have disappeared. Even if I was sad when we parted ways, it's not like the good memories are gone too. It's important to treasure the memories and the life that is left. I would be happy if the people I part ways with also think like that of me. The same for this serialization. It will come to an end someday and I'd be happy if the words and feelings I've expressed here had marked someone's life."
   As we talked, it started to get darker. A big cloud was shining due to the evening sun and we could see the color of a different sky again.
"You mean my blond hair, don't you? I have to dye it again for the drama, though. But I wanted to preserve it in Kame Camera, that's why I kept it blond for today (laughs)."



Kame📷Camera's past best shots


 
24 hours with Kamenashi Kazuya. 22:00 PM
 
"It was a photo shoot with the theme of 24 hours with Kamenashi Kazuya. I was embarrassed for having to take my clothes off, but if it's for Kame Camera, I'd do it again (laughs)."
Issue of January, 2013
 
 


 

VOL.29 Travel
 
"It was a volume I and people of my surroundings liked a lot. Traveling, huh... I hope I'm able to do it again soon."
Issue of August, 2013

 
 
 
 

VOL.49 Wind

"Actually, this volume happened just before KAT-TUN's 10th anniversary, right the next morning of the day I got to know another member was leaving. I was smiling, but on the inside..."
Issue of July, 2015


VOL.51 Inexperienced

"This was when I was doing Ninagawa Yukio-san's stage play, wasn't it? When looking at these pictures, the memories from the period when we took them come to my mind."
Issue of September, 2015





Yume Yori, Kame.
Another story of ~Follow me~

"A picture of the video Wakagi-san directed for my first solo concert. I'm happy we could work together for this."


 
Messages from Kame Camera's staff

Photographer Wakagi Shingo ↔ Kamenashi Kazuya

To Kamenashi-san
   When we met, you were showing yourself as "Kamenashi Kazuya", the artist, but after going through so many experiences, before you knew, you had built that façade to be ready to accept anything that might happen, right? Now you are able to change you appearance and you've settle both "Kamenashi Kazuya", the person and the actor.
   I think this serialization is a fixed point to observe you. Since this observation hasn't ended yet, the only thing I can say is that I want us to continue with this together. I was able to see the young Kamenashi-kun running full of energy, but I want to also keep showing as you mature year after year. You are a person who's got many worries and who also have a big sense of responsibility, so I think, you always act as a leader, no matter where you are. But also keep that part of you who is more careless. Especially in Kame Camera, it's okay if you don't show yourself here as a proper and responsible adult, okay?

From Wakagi Shingo


To Wakagi-san
   When this serialization started, I was really happy to be able to do it with you, Wakagi-san. That happiness hasn't changed even now, and who would have thought we would continue working for the same magazine for such a long time! Kamenashi Kazuya has become older and I wish you'll keep loving taking photos of Kamenashi Kazuya at any time at any moment forever, Wakagi-san. As you've realized, I'm always thinking of where I am and who I am with and I don't let myself to run wild (laughs). Even though, I want to always live being true to myself. At the moment I'm trying to figure out my heart and grow a new me, and I expect it to cause a big impact in the near future. I'll be happy if you took pictures of that process Kamenashi Kazuya is going through.

From Kamenashi Kazuya



Writter Yoshirei ↔ Kamenashi Kazuya

To Kamenashi-san
   "Kamenashi Kazuya" is a unique star, but living off that base clumsily, there's the person, "Kamenashi Kazuya". With this series, we had the intention to show the latter one. Kamenashi-san, we walked this path together since the first volume sharing this same intention. I think that's why we were able to keep this great relationship that has the right sense of distance. Since you are a really considerate person, you fulfilled everybody's expectations and it wasn't because you thought you needed to force yourself to be your true self, but because you thought from the beginning you needed to speak sincerely for you own sake. The reason why you can't hear the huge love fans and friends feel for you is because your way of life is beautiful, Kamenashi-san. On a certain way, it's because you are a person who has the honest charm of a child. Please let me keep writing this serialization, but also, let me write someday the life story of the great man Kamenashi Kazuya.

From Yoshirei


To Yoshirei-san
   The relationship between the staff members of this serialization and me is estrange, isn't it? For more than 10 years, we've met every month and even though I've kept talking about my private life and personal thoughts, we have like an our unspoken agreement in which we agreed to not get as close as friends do. Despite the fact that you understand Kamenashi Kazuya, Yoshirei-san, you didn't curry favor with me and you haven't changed my words to write something more convenient for you. I also show you my true self and I've never lied. I think that since it's a relationship in which there's mutual trust and no taking advantage, I was able to talk to you about anything. Every month you write down my thoughts, you let me check it and then we decide the final shape it'll take. At first, as a famous person, I wondered if I should censor myself a bit more (laughs), but then I thought of being as sincere as I could. And I decided that thanks to the love I received from this serialization and the people reading it. From now on too, let's keep finding the contents of Kamenashi Kazuya's heart together.

From Kamenashi Kazuya


Answering questions from MAQUIA's readers

Q Kamenashi-kun, watching you I've come to think you are always looking and paying attention to your surroundings. What do you think influenced you the most to be like that? Your parents' education? Baseball? The showbiz? Johnny-san?
It's thanks to all the people I've met, but what made me be like this the most is baseball, I think.
But I think all the people I've met until now, including my parents and Johnny-san, have unconsciously influenced me... What especially made me grow my identity as Kamenashi Kazuya is being the 3rd son of 4 brothers and baseball. With both things I learned the importance of team play and I developed a habit of thinking of everybody before thinking of myself.

Q Can you immidiately talk about any subject?
YES.
No matter what's the theme, if I say sincerely what are my feelings at that moment, then the words come out naturally.

Q If there were to be a guest in Kame Camera, who would you like them to be?
First of all, the baseball player Ichiro! How he maintains his body is amazing, but we could also talk about his inside beauty and appearance.
This is a series that's been on for very long, so having guests from time to time from now on seems interesting. My dream first guest would be Ichiro, the baseball player. I'd like to dig into Ichiro-san's sense of beauty and appearance and I'd like him to share that with MAQUIA's readers. For the second guest, it would be someone very related to beauty... Maybe Tanaka Minami-san? I want her to teach me the depth of the world of beauty (laughs).

Q When you don't get good at something no matter how many times you try and when you feel all the gears don't mesh, what do you do?
Instead of trying to force it, I just try to live with it.
Sometimes in life there are things that don't go as planned and I just do nothing about it. But I do think of arranging my life. I eat things that are good for my body, I straighten myself or file my nails. Once I start arranging myself, I even do the cleaning better. Every day I clean my phone and I disinfect my toothbrush by boiling it. The stuff I use everyday are normally in a state I can use them with no problem, but if I look at them and they are properly clean, I get calmed and I can feel how my mood changes for the good.

Q Is there something that has changed thanks to keep doing this Kame Camera series?
I got to know myself better and people also got to know me better.
I don't have any other opportunity to talk so deeply about myself. And it's once a month! That's why there are things about myself I realize when talking here. I've talked about many different topics, I've shared the root of my feelings and it's interesting how the deep part of my heart is revealed. I've also been feeling how the readers, and fans especially, have received delicately those thoughts of mine. I also can feel how this series has become a tool to connect my heart with everybody.

Q Is the girl living inside Kamenashi-kun's heart doing well nowadays?
She might not have been feeling well lately (laughs).

Q I really love the words Kamenashi-kun always decides to use! The ones you say on TV, radio or magazines as well as the ones you say live on concerts really moves my heart and the warm words remain inside of me. If there's something special you do to choose your words, Kamenashi-kun, I'd like you to tell me.
I'm really happy to hear that, but by all means, I think I'm not a person of words. Since I want to be able to convey my complex feelings, I want to learn more words. I think I beat around the bush a lot with my words. On concerts, I don't say what I want to say directly. But I also don't want to only use words that will content people. And that's my sincerity and my love. Instead of saying words that others want to hear but that aren't real, I want to convey my true feelings and by doing that, I want to create a link with the person listening. I want to be able to say better words to connect with people more and more deeply.

Q Do you use something like a diary, memo notes or a notebook?
Satoshi Ohno-kun recommended me to use a diary and I tried it once, but...
Some time ago, Ohno-kun, who painted a portrait of me, suggested, "Kame, it'd be nice if you wrote a diary too" so I gave it a try. I wrote a diary and even added some Polaroid photos, but I only lasted one week. I'm not diligent enough for that (laughs). But Ohno-kun said it was okay to write just one word, so I want to try it again.

Q What do you really think of people calling you "Kame-nyan" on Twitter and so?
I'm happy feeling all the love.
But why is it Kame-nyan? (Laughs) I'd be happy if all the fans called me the same name. Sometimes I search for my name on social media and I can't keep track of it if I only write "Kame". It's okay to simply use Kamenashi, but I want to read the comments full of love, so I'd be happy if everybody used the same name for me to give me love (laughs).

Q Which parts of your body and face do you like?
The quality of my skin, maybe!?
I've got insecurities with my face and body and I don't like anything... Ah, but I like the quality of my skin. I like its springy feel when touching it. Especially, my arms and neck; they might be smoother than a girl's! I'm always touching myself and feeling better by doing it (lots of laughs).

Q The photos Kamenashi-kun takes and get published are full of feelings and memories and I like that. How do you choose the photo? Is there some kind of rule you follow?
I choose a photo that matches the topic! They are not in chronological order.
Every month, if I can, I take a picture that matches the topic we'll be talking about, but... When I can't take a new picture, I look for an old picture. When this series started 10 years ago, I strongly wanted to make photography my hobby, but I haven't practice much (laughs).

Q Kamenashi-kun, at what times do you think, "Aaah, this is happiness!"?
When the weather is good and the food is tasty! And also when I've got free time.
For me, it's happiness when there's good weather like today's and when I eat delicious food. And also when I've got free time. Just 1 hour between works is fine. I get excited just by imagining how I would use that time.



Photo by Kazuya Kamenashi
I'm currently 35 years old.
Time goes by so quickly
recklessly in front of my eyes, many things happened.
It has been many people, things, sceneries and moods that I encountered.
I want to live the present while being grateful to all of that.

Also, Ran, thank you so much for loving me.

------


Scans: MEGA
 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you very much !

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much, both the scans and beautiful translation

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous23/3/22 12:09

    Thank you ��

    ReplyDelete